Crunchy Curry Beef Lettuce Cups & Apple Fennel Salad

Our first camping weekend while on the 21 Day Sugar Detox I made a recipe from the 21DSD guidebook. What I made today: I made crunchy curried beef lettuce cups & apple fennel salad.
The jicama and green peppers all cut up ready to cook
The finished fennel apple salad
 What I did differently/How I changed the recipe: I kept right on with the crunchy curry beef lettuce cups recipe, but for the Apple & Fennel salad I had leftover jicama and I didn't want to waste it, so I cut it up and added it to the mix. It mixed very well. The jicama actually reminded me of apple when I tried it raw, so you could hardly tell the difference.


My pre-mixed spices
Lessons Learned: There have been several times where I've had to bring up to 4 spice jars with me to the campground for a recipe. Sometimes I forget to bring them home and I need them that week. So this time I pre-measured the spices I needed for this recipe, labeled it and put in a plastic bag all ready to dump in. This was so easy and I will definitely do it again in the future!
This plate of cut up veggies smelled amazing (because of the cilantro!)

Crunchy Curry Beef Lettuce Cups Rating: 4 Stars
I actually thought they would have a lot more flavor than they did. I believe that I would have given them around 3.5. I thought they almost tasted like they had a little bit of a burnt taste. I did love having the jicama in them, though. When cooked they get a bit crunchy and remind me of watercress from Thai food!

Fennel Apple Salad Rating: 4 Stars
Cold salad, easy enough to prepare, a little bit of a sour/bitter taste (in a good way)

Both were easy enough to make right in my tiny camping kitchen, too!

The finished cups!


Comments

Popular Posts